10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six eight, twelve or sixteen spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Discover More About Prices and Repair Services At Gary's Car Craft in Orange Park
Amazing!!! Best people, best service, I feel like I am home. They take really great care of your vehicle. Super mechanic and owner Gary and Carmen his wife gives top notch customer service. Will be back every time I need anything, big or small. They fixed the beast and then some.
Gary is the only Mechanic I trust to work on my vehicle and my families vehicles. He has always treated me with respect and explains what's going on with my vehicle without making me feel like he's talking down to me. I can always trust that I'm getting a fair price and I leave confident that all concerns have been addressed. I highly recommend them!
I have used this place a few times over the past three years. It is the best! Checked everything, called me several times keeping me updated on times and cost. Very friendly and helpful. Gary's Car Craft if completely trustworthy.
I have a 2004 Audi and I've paid over $5,000 in repairs to the dealership alone. I was informed by a friend of mine that Gary's off of blanding can take care of you and they wont kill your finances doing it. Well, not only was the job fantastic but the customer service was superb. And the cost savings was excellent!!!!! What a faithful team of experts have done in a few days has convinced me this is the place all my vehicle concerns can be met. Thanks again guys!!! Superb Service.